Published on December 2nd, 2013 | by kelly0
14 Sustainable Travel Tips on a Budget
I’m excited to introduce WholesomeTravel’s first guest blogger – Rob Greenfield. Rob is a fellow conscious traveller I met up with in Venice Beach recently after connecting on Good.is via his latest sustainable bike trip. Rob is a true eco-adventurer on a mission to make the world a better place by educating and inspiring others. Check out his 14 tips to travel sustainably while on a budget.
Want to leave goodness in your path when you travel? These tips will help you to embark on travels that are good for the earth, communities and yourself. They will help you to immerse in local culture, see the land through the eyes of the people who live there and it will save you a ton of money.
Live Happy. Live Healthy. Live Free. Live beyond yourself.
1. Walk, bike and use public transportation over taxis, rental cars, and flights.
2. Eat locally produced food. Stick to a whole food plant based diet, which means more veggies, fruits, grains, nuts and less or no animal products.
3. Be a part of the local economy. Eat local, shop local, play local. Avoid national chains and corporations.
4. Reduce- Reuse- Recycle- In that order. Trash sucks, don’t make it!
6. Buy less stuff and purchase used stuff when you can.
7. Conserve water and electricity. Just be conscious of your usage.
8. Don’t use one time use anything’s (bags, take out containers, bottled water, straws, napkins etc.) Carry your own reusable dishes, cutlery and bags.
9. Positive consumerism. Buy from businesses that are using business for good.
10. Simplify. The less you need the easier it is to be friendly to our planet and to get around.
11. Travel light and carry only what you need. It will force you to interact with the locals.
12. Be conscious. When you make decisions take into account where things come from and how they were produced. If you don’t know then find out. Take action by putting the information you find to good use.
13. Live beyond yourself. How do your actions affect other humans, animals, and the earth? Make your decisions based on the wellbeing of everyone and everything not just you.
14. Lend a hand to the local community. Spend time at orphanages, volunteer at a community kitchen, or pick up trash from the beach. There are so many ways to give back!
Rob Greenfield is an eco-adventurer, activist, environmentalist, entrepreneur, world traveler, writer and inspirational speaker on a mission to inspire a happy, healthy earth. He lives and leads by example to show people how they can live a life for the earth, community, and self. Rob’s walked on 6 continents and is the host of Change the World with Rob Greenfield, an interactive adventure series that takes guest adventurers on trips to spread health, happiness, and sustainability. Join in on the adventures at www.RobGreenfield.tv and www.facebook.com/RobJGreenfield
Did you get inspired by this post? Please share and sign up to our newsletter below